Ceardean Architect's design process surrounds how best to create lasting benefits for our clients while they live, grow and work in their home for life. There are of course many factors to consider but here are a few areas of design we prioritise when piecing the complex puzzle
Quality of Life, Well-Being & Health
At a high level we add value by simply creating a home you’ll enjoy living, working, and growing in, because a more enjoyable home experience increases happiness, health, and overall well-being.
Pride, comfort, happiness, safety, and mood may seem like intangible benefits in the short term, but over time they have a direct correlation on your physical and mental health – and ultimately have direct costs savings that accumulate over time.
Better Quality of Life, Well-Being & Health leads to a Happier & Healthier you.
- Designing for adequate air and light quality in your spaces - Providing fresh air and appropriate light levels will reduce glare and eye strain.
- A well-equipped space with the appropriate ventilation system, light levels, thermal and sound insulating materials keep you, your eyes, ears, and body warm and healthy.
- Physical safety - We design safe spaces that minimise falling, tripping, and slipping.
- We design spaces for equal access among users. Whether spaces are to accommodate persons with mental or physical disabilities or for aging people, anticipating and designing features for easy adaptability and flexibility will improve user comfort, safety, and liveability while also saving on costly renovations down the road.
Improved Productivity, Functionality & Efficiency
We add value and save you money by improving productivity, functionality, and efficiency within your home.
For example, Ceardean Architects will work with you to lay out spaces and workflow in your home in a more optimised and logical manner. We listen to your behaviours and create the ideal layout of space for you and your family. The personalised layout will help make you more efficient with your time; creating more time to focus on other more important activities, like spending time with family, friends, or hobbies.
Improved Productivity, Functionality & Efficiency leads to More Time to Spend Doing What You Love
- By understanding how you use your kitchen, we can lay out space more efficiently to minimise distances between areas where you find yourself spending a lot of time. In addition, we can create a layout that accommodates more storage space if you have specific storage needs.
- If you spend a lot of time doing laundry, we can find an optimal place for your washer and dryer that minimises the amount of travel to and from the laundry machines.
- If you’re a morning person and perform best in the morning, we may suggest locating your bedroom on the east side of the house to greet the morning sun. You may find that you are waking up an hour earlier naturally with the sunrise and accomplishing more tasks than before.
- We can work to carve out usable space in an area otherwise seen as wasted space. Providing additional storage or usable space without increasing the size of the home is great! Improving. Who wants to pay for unusable space? Who wants to heat and cool unusable space?
Lower Construction Costs
We can help create a home design with affordability in mind. Efficient floor plans, simple designs, and cost-effective material selections are just a few of the ways we can help reduce construction costs. Ceardean also review cost and performance information about different wall types and design a house that minimises costs while providing adequate performance.
Cost - Effective Home Design lead to Lower Construction Costs
In addition, we help get your ideas down on paper and flush out the design before construction is underway. Making changes during the design process is much less expensive than during construction when changes could be costly to implement. This also means accounting for code and zoning regulations early on so that you don’t have to change things during construction when the building inspector spots them.
Early Design Planning & Decision Making lead to Lower Construction Costs
The most well-known task that an architect does is create drawings of your design. This is also an area where you can see cost-savings during construction. A thorough set of coordinated construction drawings helps the builder give you a more accurate construction estimate instead of leaving it to them to make assumptions (many of which could be inaccurate). Understanding the true cost of the project before construction begins is a good way to evaluate whether to move forward or find areas where you can reduce costs.
Lower Life-Cycle Costs
Did you know that the upfront design and construction cost of a project actually only account for about 25% of the total life-cycle cost of a project?
Reducing the upfront cost is good, but finding ways to reduce the remaining 75% could yield the largest amount of savings for you in the end.
Over the useful life of a house, the upfront capital cost is quite little when compared to the operation and maintenance cost. By working closely with design team, you’ll be able to make educated decisions about the kinds of materials and equipment to use—things that really save money over time. Choosing efficient and cost-effective materials will save you money month after month, adding up to huge savings over time.
Smart Material, Equipment & Fixture Selection leads to Lower Utility Bills & Maintenance Costs
In addition, we offer a project management service to ensure the house is built to meet the drawing requirements and follow leading industry standards & regulations. Ensuring the home adequately sealed to minimise air leakage and has appropriate levels of insulation and meets other performance criteria helps lower long-term costs.
Confirming flashing/roofing details are properly constructed helps minimise the potential for water infiltration and other potential issues that could arise years later that could destroy your interiors.
Effective Project Management leads to Lower Operating Costs & Minimised Risk of Poor Construction
Higher Market Value, Resale Value, Better Investment
A well-designed house has a higher market value, and is a better investment than most traditional homes. When an architect has improved the functionality and visual appeal of the home the property value generally increases.
Good Design leads to Higher Market Value & Better Investment
For these reasons and the reasons mentioned throughout this article, we can add tremendous value to your project. The question should not be “How much does an architect cost”, it should be “How much can an architect save me, and what would my return on investment be?”
Good design may have its price, but it pays for itself over the building’s lifetime.
These are just some examples of ways we add value to your home. The most appealing reason why people work with us is the design thinking we bring. But by providing the less glamorous services such as optimising layouts, approving materials and equipment, and preparing detailed drawings and providing proper project oversight, we increase the amount of real money that goes back into your pocket during the construction and lifetime of your project.
Speak with us for advice or to chat ideas for your exciting new project!
01 - 5324183
or speak via email